For week 1 of the 52 weeks of cooking the theme is Appetizers.
I decided I would try my hand at making Cheddar Cheese Straws because in part my daughter loves “orange squares” (AKA Cheez-Its) and “gold fish”
- 1 pound shredded sharp cheddar
- 1.5 cups unsalted butter
- 1.5 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 4 cups all purpose flour
- mix the first five ingredients in stand mixer until well mixed.
- Add flour one cup at a time until well integrated.
- Wrap dough ball in wax paper, and refrigerate for at least 2 hours
- Roll dough ball out until 1/2″ thick
- Cut into 1/2″ wide 4″ long strips
- Place cookie sheets and cook at 350 for 12 minutes
- Cool on wire racks.
These were pretty easy to make. My three and a half year old daughter Kira really seems to like them. My wife Pami said they were a little dry. I think they’re both a little dry, and would have benefited from a bit more salt. All in all this was a fun experiment.